The battle is raging. You are in the heat of the fight. Fiery arrows are flying through the darkening sky, souls are being lost and ground is being conquered. The enemy is rapidly advancing toward you. What can you do?
Soldier, we are in a war unseen to the naked eye. It is an individual fight we face every day. Each of us will give an account to our Commander not for fellow soldiers, but for how we fought our personal battle against Satan.
The adversary is headed your direction. Are you ready?
Here are five “weapons” you can wield when confronted by the enemy:
1. When he accuses you, fire off Romans 8:33.
2. If he attempts to condemn you, aim Romans 8:34 in his direction.
3. When he threatens your salvation, detonate Romans 8:38-39.
4. If he causes you to feel helpless by firing at you with past sins, shield yourself with I John 2:1.
5. Finally, when he terrorizes you with the fear of death, launch I Corinthians 15:55.
Satan has already lost the one battle that counts. He cannot triumph over Christ’s saving work on the cross. But in his fury, he seeks to gain victory in your life. Don’t let him catch you as a soldier unprepared. Win the battle each day. Start by looking up the above verses and committing them to memory.
You now have five weapons to wield. Use them well!
The reason why many fail in battle is because they wait until the hour of battle . . . Anticipate your battles. R. A. Torrey
Devotional by Dr. James A. Scudder