Few things of value can be obtained without cost. Nevertheless, I have found some examples:
- Accidentally overhearing something good said about you
- A certain smell which takes you back to an earlier time
- Someone unexpectedly remembering your name
- (For students) Getting to class late, only to find your teacher is not there
- Laying in the grass (in the summer) and staring at the night sky
- A baby’s smile
- Getting a good night’s sleep
- (Another one for students) Passing a test you thought you would fail
- Watching a sunrise or sunset
- A photo of yourself you actually like
How much would you give to experience these things? We cannot quantify their value, for they are priceless. So is the blood of Jesus Christ. By Christ’s shed blood, we were redeemed — our sin debt was paid. We received forgiveness from all of our sins. We were given unlimited access to God the Father. We were also justified (declared righteous) in God’s eyes through the blood of Jesus. This is a priceless treasure and worthy to be cherished. I hope you appreciate it.
Oh! precious is the flow
That washes white as snow;
No other fount I know,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
You don’t have to be an expert in human biology to appreciate the significance of Christ’s blood to your eternal soul. Let the reality fill you with awe and wonderment at your Savior’s great love, and may it give you grace to love and forgive others who trespass against you. His priceless gift proves your life has value in His eyes.
Click here to see an illustration of the precious gift God has given you.
Devotional by Pastor Jim Scudder, Jr.