If you’re looking for a safe, respectable faith where you’ll never face opposition, then Christianity is not for you. Foxe’s Book of Martyrs graphically describes many of the atrocities committed against people of faith, including the apostles.
• Matthew was slain with a sword in Ethiopia.
• Mark died in Alexandria after being cruelly dragged through the streets of the city.
• Luke was hanged upon an olive tree.
• Peter was crucified upside down in Rome.
• James the Greater was beheaded in Jerusalem.
• James the Less was thrown from a pinnacle of the Temple and beaten to death with a fuller’s club.
• When he preached to his prosecutors, Andrew was bound on a cross until he died.
• Thomas was run through with a lance in India.
• Paul was beheaded by Nero in Rome.
I believe the day is drawing very near when those of us in America will be persecuted for our faith. Presently, millions of Christians around the world live in jeopardy because of their faith. We must pray for our persecuted brothers and sisters, for they are members of Christ’s body. Their commitment should embolden us to be better witnesses for our Savior.
Are you doing anything to support persecuted Christians around the world? You may not have the financial means to support your brothers and sisters, but you can pray for them and speak out for Christ when given the opportunity. Your faith is under fire. Will you stand or crumble?
The servant of Christ must never be surprised if he has to drink of the same cup with his Lord. — J.C. Ryle
Devotional by Pastor Jim Scudder, Jr.